Introduction to the AndEngine:
AndEngine is a free open source OpenGL android game engine, developed by Nicolas Gramlich. It covers the most important OpenGL aspects, which means even if you don't have experience with OpenGL - you can still create great games/applications using this engine, the most important thing obviously is proper Java programming experience.
1. Most important features of the engine:
- Scaling across various devices (different resolutions)
- Multi touch support.
- Physics extension - Box2D (the one used by for example AngryBirds)
- TiledMaps in TMX format support.
- Particle Systems.
- Live Wallpaper extension.
2. Benefits from using AndEngine:
- Free and open source.
- Most important aspects of every game are covered already by the engine.
- You don't really need OpenGL experience (but it might be useful, obviously)
- Fast, well designed and organized engine.
- Relatively big, active and helpful community.
- Great engine extensions.
- Plenty of examples, showing off engine capabilities.
3. Major drawbacks:
- There is almost no code documentation.
- Sometimes slower in comparison to other engines.
- Lack of documentation is the main difficulty while starting (hard to understand every parameter etc)